Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Robert W. Smith (1926- 2011)



Robert W. Smith passed away the evening of July 1st. He was a noted martial art researcher, writer, teacher, and practitioner. He was the author and co-author of 16 books and numerous articles dealing with the fighting arts. His work no doubt touched many martial artists regardless of style.  -From the Journal of Asian Martial Arts.-



Mr. Smith was the first guest teacher that I invited to give a workshop to my students here in Kansas City in the early 1980s.  He was one of the first, if not the first, westerner to study with Cheng Man-ch'ing in Taiwan.  He had great spirit.  One of the things he said to us on several occasions was: "Tension is who you think you are, relaxation is who you really are."


He inspired and encouraged me to continue with my teaching.  I am lucky and grateful to have met him.


Obituary Link

No comments: